Sunday, January 7, 2007

A good brain melting

It's been a while since I've posted, but the best excuse I can come up with is that my brain has been melting as I try to absorb all the technical and nontechnical issues with implementing TIM and TAM.

The last several weeks I've spent most of my days and nights reading mountains of documentation, taking Tivoli Web Courses and building a sandbox for testing and development. I've come across several items that I thought would be good topics for the blog, but I failed to follow through which is something I plan to work on.

The nontechnical part of architecting a TIM and TAM implementation can be a bit tougher than the technical stuff. I've spent a good deal of time in the last few weeks talking to application owners and HR people, electronic forms people to try and figure out what roles are already defined, what roles still need defining, where are we getting feeds from, how clean is the data coming in from those feeds, etc.... This can be mind numbing. The best advice I can pass along which has been passed along to me is Simplify. Try to temper the expectations, take the complex and break it down into simpler parts. Keep in mind that the Identity and Access Management system is an evolving system.

No comments: